During your academic career, you are required to do a lot of assignments and each one comes with different requirements which you have to follow. Therefore, when it comes to structuring your assignment, you must keep your assignment outline into consideration to ensure that you are moving in the right direction because sometimes in the middle of a project, you happen to go through professor’s instruction and become too disappointed on realization of not following the right direction. There are some important factors that will help you structuring your assignment.
Integration of New Ideas in Basic Concept Plan
When you start writing, during the way, you come across various new ideas or bit different ways that may lead you to different directions. It is good to find and work on better ideas but you must use basic concept plan to ensure that you are not going away from the basic ideas. Through basic plan, you will be able to evaluate relevancy and adjust ability of new ideas into existing work you have already done.
Organization of Different Ideas and Paragraphs
You can’t just finish your entire assignment in one paragraph and if you do, you will just make it a bad reading paper. So it is better to break your paper into different paragraphs whereas each paragraph should be started with a new idea. The first sentence of every paragraph should communicate very clearly to the readers that what you are going to talk about in the next lines. An effective paragraph planning will let you know how you should discuss each idea in a separate area. For instance you can talk about many ideas, give comparison of concepts and arguments, different point of views of different authors, problem statement, solution of the problems, causes & effects, advantages and disadvantages etc. Use of linking words in different paragraphs:
- List paragraphs may contain various words such as: Firstly, lastly, finally, ultimately, additionally, similarly, next example, another example, furthermore, as well as, too etc
- Paragraphs discussing comparison and/or contrast may contain the words such as: conversely, similarly, alternatively, by contrast, on the other hand, similarly etc.
- Paragraphs discussing Causes & effects may contain the words such as: Results indicated, outcomes included, therefore, as a result, consequently etc.
- Paragraphs giving solution to the problem may contain the words such as: diagnosed problem incorporated, outcomes included, issues were controlled etc.
Structuring Main Parts of the Assignment
As mentioned above different types of assignments come with different requirements, you will follow different criteria for different parts of the assignment. It is better to follow general rules to create introduction, body and conclusion. Before you start working on your assignment, you should always put assignment type at the first place as this will enable you to use the most suitable structuring method as per the type of work you are assigned to carry out.
An introduction is written to give general overview of the topic. It typically includes the following elements:
- General Orientation: General orientation, context or background of the topic gives a clear understanding to the readers about the area of study/issue or problem that you are going to discuss.
- Outline of Issues: You don’t have to give a detailed description of the problem you will be discussing but just an overview of problem that you will be exploring.
- Main idea: You will simply give a response to your research question. You can take some words from your questions and include in introduction to point out your topic.
When it comes to structuring paragraphs in BODY, you should make sure that each of the paragraphs is talking about a new idea that is directly pointing to the basic thesis statement. An argument about the problem is the most significant factor in this section and a strong argument is created when you play with major points in between different paragraphs. Try to make paragraph structuring in this way:
- Topic sentence: Make a new point to start your paragraph
- Supporting sentences: Now the main point should be supported and backed with research and references
- Conclusive sentence: You need to write a sentence that directly links to the main point you used to start your paragraph and as a whole it should be linking with main thesis statement.
A conclusion is the last but not the least important section of your assignment. It should be structured in this way:
- Just give your final words on the main topic ideas and important points you have discussed throughout body section.
- You must not introduce any new idea or give any new information in this section as this will not let your topic end.
- Conclude with a simple comment, remark, and resolution for the problem or a suggestion that can help in exploring the topic in future research programs.